Confessions of a wannabe Photographer

All about a Geek with a camera, high hopes, and little money or talent. Follow his journey as he discovers a few tips / tricks / hints, and tries to find semi-decent equiptment on the cheap.

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The South", United States

On a never-ending search for the missing "prodigal principles" in a world of confusion, and hoping I can leave a few nuggets of wisdom for my posterity, (and praying that I don't totally screw up my kids and family...)

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Got the lens!

So, I decided to do a little Craigslist "snooping" to the other regions on the East Coast, looking to see if anyone had anything interesting to sell.

Lo and behold, I looked at the Washington DC site for the word "Tamron", and you'd never believe what some guy was listing!

Yep, it was my future lens! The 17-50mm f2.8, and he wanted about $125 less than retail.

My wife has a friend who lives up in that area, and she agreed to be a go-between for us. She met with the guy, bought the lens off him, and shipped it to me. Now, that is a real friend.

I hadn't saved up enough cash to buy it right out, but the wife said she would float me part of the cost of the lens, bucause she knew how much I'd been looking for something to replace the kit lens.

I've really been enjoying the lens, and have been loving the f2.8. It's a little soft that wide open, but soft at 2.8 is better than soft at 3.5 or 4.

I've never tasted Canon's "L" glass, and I probably won't for a while, but I feel better equipted to get creative with DOF and low light situations.

Most of the pics from this point on will probably be with this lens.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris and Adrienne Scott said...

came across your site through the strobist blogs that link to us link. how do you like that new lens? i've been thinking about buying a wide angle lens, but didn't really know what to get. also, you should check out the canon 50mm f/1.8, it's only about $70 (yeah, 70 bucks!) and it's pretty incredible.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Noah said...

I actually picked up the 50mm f/1.8 (II, not the metal one) as my second lens. It's a very sharp lens that takes great pictures, but I wanted something with a similar zoom range to the kit lens that came w/ the D-Rebel, but was faster and had good image quality.

The lens hasn't disappointed at all. I'm no pro, but the pictures I get are sharp, have good contrast, no real light fall-off that I notice, and was much cheaper than anything else I could find with similar characteristics.

Now, I don't feel like such a dufus when I take the camera out in public. Having impressing looking gear seems to help others take you seriously, like you know what you're doing. (If only they knew...) ;)

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home