Confessions of a wannabe Photographer

All about a Geek with a camera, high hopes, and little money or talent. Follow his journey as he discovers a few tips / tricks / hints, and tries to find semi-decent equiptment on the cheap.

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The South", United States

On a never-ending search for the missing "prodigal principles" in a world of confusion, and hoping I can leave a few nuggets of wisdom for my posterity, (and praying that I don't totally screw up my kids and family...)

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Hey Brother, could you spare a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 for Canon?

So I think I've finally decided what to replace the kit lens on my Canon.

I've picked up a few lenses here and there, (Canon 50 1.8 II, Sigma 28-80/70-300 kit), and they're pretty good for the price I paid for them. But, I mainly shoot with the stupid 18-55 kit lens, and I really need something in a comparable range that doesn't suck.

I think I've decided to hunt/search/obsess over the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 . I've read some pretty good reviews on it over at DPReview.com, and say it's actually a pretty good competitor to what Canon has in the 17-50 or 17-85 range. Given it's from a third-party, and it's no "L" glass, but distortion / CA / MTF stats look pretty good, (and spanks the crappy kit lens all up and down the charts).

Looks like it goes $430 - $450 new from B&H / Beach / Amazon, but that's almost as much as I spent on a boat-load of lighting stuff, (and that's with my wife going 50/50 from our Household budget). EBay looks like it can go down as much as $370 - $450, and most of those are new.

Any how, anyone know where I can get a good deal on this piece of glass? Anyone "bored" with their copy and want to pass it on to a poor soul? (I guy can hope, can't he?)

And until I can afford it, I guess it's back to the old plastic kit lens. . .

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Linder said...

I would have liked "Hey big man, could you spare a ...." better....

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home